Monday, March 16, 2009

Are gay men misogynists?

Recently I read that Elton John in all his English Correctness had referred to the Americans as ‘misogynists’ because they did not care about Hillary C in a way that they should be caring.

For a man who is a renowned gay he certainly knew how to speak his mind without being deterred by thoughts such as ‘how can I”? Whether the Americans are misogynists or not is a topic for another day!

In the past , when I was still waiting for my enlightenment, I had harbored this thought that gay men are misogynists or women haters…I mean if a guy cannot bear to make love to a woman ( which I, in all my ignorant asininity, thought to be the most natural thing in the world) then he has to be a misogynist----at least that’s what I thought!!

Years later feed backs from friends who happened to interact closely with a few ‘rear door entrants’ assured me that they were not women- haters….just that they cannot bear to have sex with women just as how sane women cannot bear to go to bed with opossums!!

But having watched the Hindi movie ‘Fashion’ I realized that men and women of different sexual preferences could co- exist in holy matrimony.

Allow me to illustrate-- If, for example Billuram had a long -term intimate relationship with young pappu he surely cannot marry pappu and shock his mother into a stupor from which she is unlikely to recover . So what does he do? He takes home a wife who already knows (she is among the exceptions) about his same- sex dalliance. She says ‘I do’ because she is a sweet girl who really likes him and also finds his money useful ! Believe me they lived happily ever after…. Billuram, his wife and young pappu! All’s well that ends well.

As I was saying gay men are no misogynists. Some of them even 'honor' women by marrying them!!

Take care!

2 comments:

  1. I dont think all gay men are women haters, but being in United states, I did have encountered some who dislikes women for their natural tendencies or behavior. Also I dont agree that a gay man honors a woman by marrying her, because here the situation seem more of an opportunistic behavior to have some social status for him amidst heterosexual couples or the regular society since being gay is still taboo in large number of societies. If a girl agrees to marry a man after knowing that he is gay, that is again probably for her own personal benefits on financial grounds and social grounds to have a "manly" protection than having nothing. So there is no honoring in this.
    Real honoring another human remain in respecting the other human's feelings regardless of the sexuality of other individual and accepting the person for what they are. If a person knows that he or she cannot have amicable sexual relationship with person of opposite gender, even if he or she feels strongly connected to the person, it would be wise not to get into matrimonial alliance and have respect for what you are. Leading a dual life is useless and society is not going to satisfy the personal needs of a person. By being honest to one self, a person dont play around with anyone's emotions and his or her own emotions.
    Shyam

    ReplyDelete