Thursday, March 12, 2009

Belated Women’s Day Musings

Every year on March 8th the world wakes up to the International Women’s Day! On this day women are lauded, poetries are recited from specially- erected podiums , the various chores that women engage in are proudly listed and their ability to juggle tasks ( as if they had a choice!) is vehemently applauded —-overall a woman's ability to sally forth in this mad, bad world, without losing her marbles, receives a patting on the back.

But on the very next day the podiums are dismantled, the curtains are drawn, the act is over and the world goes back to doing what it has been doing since the Great Ape metamorphosed into man----Woman Bashing!

It took almost a week after Women’s Day for me to wake up from the inertia that consumes me from time to time. The world refers to my ‘reverie’ as sulking but to me it is quality time, spent in getting a grip on the self.

On Women’s Day I received salutations (for being a women ,I guess) - mostly in the form of text messages and e-mails. One respect-dripping , awe-filled message came from a male acquaintance who loves to relax by watching live, nude women dance for a living !

However, it did strike me that most of the messages were from women friends( the decently married and ‘happily’ settled variety )who were perhaps making a feeble attempt at rising from the ashes and keeping the flame of dignity alive. Their joy at being a woman, if present, was not palpable. It was a mere rhetoric being conveyed from one to another……like a candle march without a flame!

As for me….I am pretty glad I am a woman. To think that my blueprint could have been encrypted otherwise scares me blue! To me this is , perhaps, a time to muse on a few friends in the company of whom I have spent some of the most cherished moments of my life. This post is just a ‘thank you’ note--- to you girls--- for the bonding that we share and for perfectly accepting this imperfect ‘me’!

2 comments:

  1. May I use this blog add a belated message to this belated musing, which may disseminate to a few more of Reeja's friends:
    On occasion of 2009 International Women's Day the International Committee of the Red Cross has warned that the specific health-care needs of women are often ignored or insufficiently taken into account in war situations.

    In the world’s least developed countries, many of which are at war, women are 300 times more likely to die in childbirth or from pregnancy-related complications than in developed countries, according to UNICEF. While armed conflicts and other violence affect entire communities, women are particularly at risk of rape and other forms of sexual violence. Because of poor security conditions or because they have no means of transportation, it is often impossible for women to reach a health-care facility so as to give birth safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I use this blog to disseminate my comments and info to a few more. My belated message to this belated blog:
    On occasion of 2009 International Women's Day the International Committee of the Red Cross has warned that the specific health-care needs of women are often ignored or insufficiently taken into account in war situations.

    In the world’s least developed countries, many of which are at war, women are 300 times more likely to die in childbirth or from pregnancy-related complications than in developed countries, according to UNICEF. While armed conflicts and other violence affect entire communities, women are particularly at risk of rape and other forms of sexual violence. Because of poor security conditions or because they have no means of transportation, it is often impossible for women to reach a health-care facility so as to give birth safely.

    ReplyDelete